Tuesday 1 December 2015

Guilt-free cookie dough (vegan-friendly and gluten-free)

Instant mood booster


Better than Ben & Jerry's?
*Sighs* Hiiiiiiiiiiiii (name that sitcom!) 

Sorry to start off as a bit of a Debbie downer guys but I must admit that I've been feeling a bit low this week. In fact, I would even go as far to say that I got myself into a bit of a rut. You know the type, where you start feeling lost and become unsure of what you want to achieve out of life (let alone what you believe you actually can achieve). It sounds really obnoxious coming from a 23 year old who has definitely not had a great deal of life experience I know, but I think it's actually a very common theme amongst the generations raised with social media. If you have ever found yourself in a similar predicament, I promise that this is not your fault. You see, social media constantly sets people up to feel inadequate and it's not just due to the unhealthy comparisons we make between ourselves and others' life progress. The main issue is that from a young age, we are told that we can do anything and become anyone we want. We are unique, we are special, we are *hurts brain trying to think of correct word* destined *chooses incorrect word regardless*. The media along with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and even blogging to an extent constantly reinforce the belief that we are the most important person on the planet. People want to follow our feed, look through our pictures and keep tabs on our lives. 
I must be special right? I just got 561800 likes on my latest profile pic, right?! 
Unfortunately, all this does is set us up for disappointment when real life turns out to be a bit more REAL than internet life.

Whilst I like to believe that everyone is special due to the fact that there is only one of them on the planet (pretty rare if you ask me), us 90's and younger kids are constantly spoon-fed this concept on steroids, leading to a large proportion of us believing that we alone are the equivalent of Harry Potter in the Wizarding world. 

You're a wizard Alex...

Of course, when we find out that we're one of many wizards and despite being special are not all destined to discover the cure for cancer or be the first person to walk on mars, it makes you feel like you're kind of failing. What's worse is that compared to real world problems, this issue seems so pedantic and insignificant that you end up feeling even worse about yourself. I often feel guilty about being ungrateful for all the amazing friends and family I have (of which there are so many, that to count them all I would require an abacus the size of Kanye West’s ego). Regardless, the recycled messages go around again and again and the downward spiral ensues. Boooooo!

Right, if you're in a similar place, not to worry, it's time for an intervention:

  1. Firstly, let's let go of the fact that we're most likely never going to be the funniest, most athletic, cleverest or most beautiful person of our time. Trust me, accept yourself as you are, with all the faults (e.g. My wonky face and tendency to forget important information) and all the pressure vanishes instantly!
  2. Secondly, we should stop being discouraged by not reaching our life goals (or even discovering what they are) at this precise moment in time. It may happen tomorrow, it may happen in 40 years time or quite possibly it may never happen. However, life is about the journey and not where you end up so enjoy now and stop worrying about the future.
  3. Thirdly, let's stop focusing on what hasn't happened. We never know what's around the corner, it may be good or it may be bad but until then lets make the most of the path we're on at the moment. Take everything as it comes and even though it may seem like you're drifting through life remember, all rivers are constantly flowing to somewhere. Oooh I feel a Disney song coming on!
Don't you dare Alex.

After deciding to take my own advice (an activity I rarely trust to partake in) I decided to stop wasting my time sulking and give myself a little morale boost to see me through the week. I wanted tasty food treats that were not of the vegetable variety and I soon came to realize that during this self-thrown pity party I had insidiously developed quite a dangerous food craving...

...For cookie dough! 


This wasn't your average pregnancy craving but a full blown ‘I’m going to destroy the Ben & Jerry’s freezer section in Asda and will smash-in the face/devour the soul of anyone who dares get in the way’ sort of craving. Newborn children? I’ll end you! Elderly women? Prepare to never look at frozen peas the same way again! I was all set to take my life frustration out on both the British public and a tub of cookie dough ice cream when I just so happened to glance at my laptop which was open on Pintrest.
Hmmm, healthy cookie dough??? I knew it was possible, I knew it had been done before and I knew I had to have it. 
After a brief bit of searching, I found tons of delicious recipes via the magic of the internet (it does have it's good side) however, most called for the use of either almond or peanut butter. I love both of these things very much but sadly I didn’t have almond butter on hand and I also didn’t want peanut flavored cookie dough (although I’m sure that I will at some point in the future). Therefore, after a bit more internet prowling I found a recipe from one of my favourite Youtube channels ‘Mind over Munch’.  Alyssia is probably one of the most talented health/lifestyle personalities online, with a unique approach to encourage people to eat in a way that works for them individually and to forget about self-labeling. Her cookie dough bites recipe   uses cashews and oats as a base (2 things that I love possibly even more than the nut butters) and after reading through and making a few tweaks and substitutions for stuff I had on hand, I simply went into the kitchen, blended up a few things in the food processor and within 5 minutes everything became right with the world again.
I’m smiling just thinking about it as I’m typing. This cookie dough is soft, chewy, and buttery (I can’t believe it’s not butter – wheeeyy!) with just the perfect level of sweetness. It goes perfectly with banana soft serve, stirred into oatmeal or simply eaten as is. This cookie dough is the definition of enjoying the present moment. Didn't you know, one is never lost when one is with cookie dough. Enjoy!

And also before I forget, HAPPY 1ST OF DECEMBER!!!! Let the festive recipes cometh!!!

Healthy Cookie Dough

Makes 12-15 cookie dough bites



Ingredients:

1 cup oats
1/2 cup cashews
1 tbsp sweetener of choice (I used truvia)*
1 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce (or apple baby puree) (Post Recipe Tip: Can sub for almond butter for a richer/higher fat option)
1 tbsp almond milk (or milk of choice)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips (or more or less depending on preference - sub vegan-friendly chips if need be)
Pinch of salt


Instructions:

Place the oats and the cashews in a food processor/blender and pulse-blend into a rough flour-like consistency.
Chuck in the rest of the ingredients (bar the chocolate chips) and blend to form a dough.
Remove the dough  and fold the chips in by hand. 
Try to refrain from eating half the dough during its creation like I did and form pieces into small balls. Now, eat them, eat them again and feel all the good feels!!! 


*Natural sweeteners like the erythritol based brands Truvia or Sukrin are about 2-3 times sweeter than sugar but are virtually zero calorie. If using a different sweetener e.g. coconut sugar or maple syrup I would use two table spoons in this recipe.  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment