Sunday 3 April 2016

Chocolate Orange Black Bean Brownies (that actually taste good!)

A Weekend of Chocolate and Chimps

 

Hello Chums, Long time no see!

I hope you had a nice Easter last week and enjoyed the celebrations regardless of whether they were focused around Jesus, the Easter bunny or just simply eating as much chocolate as humanly possible. Each to their own. J

Sorry for disappearing for a bit but I’ve been attempting to transform into one of those social butterflies. It’s going well although I don’t think I’m quite at the desired level yet, maybe more of a social caterpillar i.e. sleeping in and sitting at the table in the pub that’s the furthest away from everyone else are still situations that I find very appealing and furthermore unlike a butterfly’s wings, my face is severely asymmetrical. Think Picasso’s style of painting and you’re on the right track.

However, despite this slow social metamorphosis I have been spending a lot more time with my friends lately and as a result have managed to cram in a few adventures. Take the Easter weekend for example; my good friends Amy and Katy and I took a two day road trip westwards into a land of roads that almost go vertically up over valley walls and villages so small that they can only possibly be inhabited by Playmobil figures. 
Ok, this may be a bit of an over exaggeration for the Wiltshire/Dorsett area but in terms of the hills and villages that we came across, the description is pretty apt.

What were we doing in this particularly scenic part of the country I hear you ask? Well, over the two days we visited both the insanely amazing Longleat Safari and Adventure Park and the thriving TV-famous Monkey World. I can confirm that both are unbelievably fun and contrary to belief you don’t have to accompanied by a young child in order to not look a little… let’s say odd. Actually, truth be told, that kind of thing doesn’t bother me too much anyway, I think odd is good so even if I did resemble a 5 foot 11 man-child with a hyperactivity disorder for the entire weekend, I really don't see a problem. How can you care when you’re surrounded by hoards of fluffy animals (that you can feed from your car!)? Squeeeee!

You may be wondering that it seems a specifically animal-themed way to spend the Easter holiday but actually it makes perfect sense. Let me break it down. Traditionally, Easter is about Jesus and Jesus is in the Bible and also in the Bible is Noah’s Ark, and on Noah’s Ark the animals went in two by two, and at Longleat it's pretty much like Noah's Arc pre-flood and at Monkey World, it's all about saving the animals.

*Takes a big calming breath to reduce over-excitement*

Therefore, this little trip actually made perfect sense. I do so hope you agree. It was also very educational and considering I have a degree in zoology, there are a surprising amount of things I didn’t actually know about all the creatures great and small.

Here are some valuable life lessons that  I will take to my grave:


  • Wallabies are strong believers in the ‘stare you down/come at us bro’ approach to strangers. Classic gang mentality there, I mean, clearly from this photo it’s obvious they were on the verge of breaking out into a west-side story number on us with aggressive pointed toes and intimidating hip thrusts.
  • Camels are sassy wobble humps.That’s a bit of a bold generalization but at least one camel fitted this description enough to leave a lasting impression.



Look at the way he’s working that corner away from the rest of the camels (who were on the other side of the road sheltering from the rain like sensible organisms). Nothing says sassy like saying ‘watch meehh cheeew mah straaaaaw’ to a bunch of strangers as they drive by. This guy (dubbed Bruce) took the cheek to an even further level by deciding to saunter across the road and block our path, presumably after one of the other camels told him to stop being a tart and called him back to the herd.

  •  Sea lions get hangry… Oh so hangry.


All it takes is a few small pieces of hacked up fish to turn the most puppy-faced sea lion into something that makes the prospect of diving with sharks just that little bit easier, consisting of 60% mouth, 30% eyes and 10% ‘Give me the fish sue!’

  • Wolves prove that it’s possible to look both murderous and beautiful at the same time (unlike Edward Cullen who just looked angsty and pale).


I would like to think that this is how I look first thing in the morning but I would also like to think that I am related to Michelle Obama and have the ability to dance like Michael Jackson.
These things are not true.

  • This thing is unimpressed by general British Weather.

'Please end me'
Despite that fact that it did rain on and off over the course of our two days away, it still by no means dampened our spirits. These puns though…

Anyway, it comes as no surprise that over the course of the weekend the girls and I did a fair bit of snacking. Yep, as part a road trip snacking was mandatory (it’s actually a law I think… or should be at least) but just like I resisted the urge to smear the outside of Katy’s car with banana skins to further attract Longleat’s monkeys, as a group we managed to refrain from just eating fast food for the duration of the 48 hours away from home. How did we do this? Well, in all honesty it wasn’t too hard, we just packed a whole lot of food before leaving including: fruit, nakd bars, sandwiches, crackers, peanut butter, and some healthy baked goods that I had fun making the day before. Scrummy food + saving a little bit of money = all of the thumbs up. Also, this meant that come Saturday night, none of us felt guilty or too full for a treat of some hot and juicy burgers (I had one topped with chilli, we duelled and I won).

One of the baked goods that I brought along for the journey was the chocolate orange black bean brownies below. Honestly, these are one of my favourite things that I’ve made to date and despite the ingredients being completely unconventional, they taste amazing and as a result they unsurprisingly didn’t make it to the end of the trip.



I’ll be the first to say that I cannot take credit for these beauties. The recipe is based upon the black bean brownie recipe used by the queen of healthy baking - Chocolate covered Katie. They are dense, chewy, moist, gooey, rich, sweet and everything else you could want out of a life partner. What’s also great about these brownies is their versatility; simply swap out the orange extract for vanilla to achieve a more traditional brownie taste or use peppermint extract for some festive treats you’ll consider killing Santa over. High in Protein and much lower in unhealthy fats found in traditional brownies, these chocolate treats are full of wholesome ingredients that are great fuel for your body. They’re also vegan as well so that means that everyone can enjoy them. Brownies for everyone! Wooooo!

I’ve linked the original recipe to Katie’s blog below if you’d like to check it out (do, it’s incredible, you’ll love it, I promise this girl can bake anything) as well as links to Longleat and Monkey world’s websites in case you’re planning a little trip of your own any time soon.

Have a fantastic start to the week tomorrow and as the chimps at Monkey World would say:

Hoot! Agghhh! EeeeeAaaaaaa! Ooooooooooo! (I hope we talk again soon/get the hell away from my yoghurt pot – same difference).

Bye.

Chocolate Orange Black Bean Brownies

Makes: 8-12 brownies

Ingredients:

1 can of black beans (drained and thoroughly rinsed)
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ cup oats
1/3 cup truvia or granulated sweetener of choice e.g. xylitol, coconut sugar or even regular sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce or apple baby puree
2 tsp orange extract
½ tsp baking powder
Optional - a tiny pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness even more
Optional add-ins – chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit, orange peel, honestly anything mixed into a brownie tastes good! Except haddock, don’t mix in haddock.

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (I used fan oven which gets slightly hotter than a conventional one but all appliances will vary).
Combine all of the ingredients (bar any add-ins) in a food processor and blend until well combined.
Stir in your extras (if using) and then spread out into a baking dish lined with baking paper or greased with oil/butter/cooking spray.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, remove and allow to cool (it will firm up some more as it cools and transform into a dense, chewy and fudgy treat from the angels).
Enjoy!

Longleat Safari Park: http://www.longleat.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment