Friday 4 December 2015

November Porridge Favourites

Because Oats Damn It!


Good evening all, twill just be a quick one today.

Despite last week’s pity party, a combination of some very good friends and a Simpson’s advent calendar have managed to shake me out the crappy cocoon I was stuck in. Although, what has since emerged from said cocoon can only be described as a work-defective butterfly completely geared into Christmas overdrive mode.





This inherently does mean that I have begun stalking the festive aisles of Britain’s home stores with the prowess of an overfed reindeer and have also started screaming ‘baby it’s cooooooold ouuuuttsssiiiiiiiiide!’ whenever Nan asks what the weather’s looking like. I can’t believe it’s the fourth of December already (Ho ho how?!) and I have so many recipes that I want to share with you all before the best day of the year arrives. Eeeeppaahhh!

However, I refuse to bring this blog into the festive era without rounding off November first with a very appropriate post featuring my long-time food-spouse – porridge.



Another porridge post!

I know, I know, I am obsessed; but before you give me a well-deserved seasonal slap with your five gold-ringed hands, please allow me to explain myself…

…I like porridge.


There we are, I’m glad that’s all cleared up.  

The recipes below all serve 1 and are to best enjoyed wrapped up in bed whilst in the company of your neighbour's cat who sometimes climbs in through the window and invades your personal space with his furry tummy gut and somewhat minky attitude. Thumbs up for being single!

Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal


 

·         Ingredients:

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp raisins
Sweetener of choice (I used a pinch of natural stevia) 

Instructions:

Combine the oats, water and milk in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir together.
Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir again.
Cook for 3-5 minutes or until desired thickness is reached. Remove from the heat and enjoy a stodgy bowl that smells like it's come straight out of a bakery. Om nom nom. 

Spiced Persimmon Porridge



            Ingredients:

1/2 cup oats
1 cup water
1/4-1/2 tsp mixed spice or can sub cinnamon
1 ripe persimmon diced up - NOTE OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE - For a persimmon to be at it's best  it has to be fully ripe. You'll know when its ready as it will be soft/slightly squidgy to the touch and be dark orange in colour. An unripe persimmon (hard/tough feeling) is astringent which basically means its more bitter than Louis Walsh after being cut from the X-Factor.   
Optional: sweetener of choice - I omitted this as I found the persimmon made the porridge sweet enough on its own. 

Instructions:

Combine all the ingredients in a pan over medium heat and stir together.
Cook for 3-5 minutes or until desired thickness is reached. Remove from the heat and enjoy this sweetly spiced bowl of joy. A lot of people don't use persimmons regularly as they can be seen as 'an intimidating alien fruit!'. However, don't be put off, they are sooooo sweet that they can seriously kill any pic'n'mix cravings and when used in hot recipes often become soft and gooey like jam. They're also in season from October to February which means that they're cheap throughout the whole festive season. Bonus!   

Pecan Pie Oatmeal




Ingredients:

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp chopped pecans
Sweetener of choice (I used a pinch of natural stevia, although I would recommend a tsp of maple syrup if you have it on hand). 
Optional: a dash of cinnamon

Instructions:

Combine all the ingredients in a pan over medium heat and stir together ensuring the egg is beaten into the rest of the mixture.
Cook for 3-5 minutes or until desired thickness is reached. Remove from the heat and enjoy thanks giving for breakfast (or if not celebrating thanks giving - then just enjoy the pecany goodness!). 


No comments:

Post a Comment