Monday 28 December 2015

Ho Ho Po(ridge)

Some festive ways to eat oats - Because I actually can't stop.


Mint Chocolate... Before or after eight, either is good for me.

Mince Pie... Screw Santa I'm having it.

Chocolate Orange...It most certainly isn't Terry's!

Yeah…

I realise that this blog is really just becoming an outlet for me to share how much I like to eat porridge in numerous formats. My Goodness, my life is just a complete roller-coaster of wild times and crazy shenanigans isn’t it?


Slow me down Mildred!

Dark voice in head (sometimes referred to as Mildred):  ‘I know what will slow you down’

Me: ‘What could that be Milly?’

Dark voice: ‘Don’t call me Milly, we’re not that close and it’s the fact that Christmas is now over’

*Part of soul dies instantaneously*

Me: ‘Gaaarrgghh! Damn you Milly!’

Dark Voice: ‘I said don’t call me…’

Although it is true that the magical time of the year has indeed ended and we will soon all be plunged into the depths of the January Blues (or at least I know I will) it certainly doesn’t mean that there is now nothing to look forward to. A new year is starting, which means a fresh start and with it a fresh perspective. It’s the perfect time to start thinking about any goals you would like to reach, any changes you would like to make or any dreams you would like to realise.

Why not use your (egg)noggin?

I loath me sometimes.
Despite the enjoyment of setting out some new life targets, I know exactly what is going to happen. Every year I think, this year will be the year where… (Fill in unrealistic expectation here), and as a result I’m often left feeling a little sore when after 365 days have rolled by, I haven’t quite achieved what I thought I would. Well not this time. I say Neeeeiiggghh to that poppycock like an unimpressed cockney horse and am instead going to simply focus on some more realistic short-term aims in order to keep myself a bit more grounded in the present moment. I do have a tendency to float off into Alex-land all too often. I like it there; I’m married to Joseph Gordon-Levitt and have managed to gain a large share in Quaker Oats.  

Sorry just popped off for a bit.

I suppose at the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter if we achieve everything when we want to because if we did accomplish said goals all the time than what would we have left to do? Our dreams and goals simply wouldn’t have a chance to form. I know for sure that Alex-land wouldn’t exist. So, when setting out your aims and goals for this year, I encourage you to not be too strict with them. If they don’t seem attainable within the span of 12 months, don’t worry, just let them develop into dreams and focus instead on what can be done closer to now. To be honest, as long as you enjoy the year, I would call that a success.


If you’re similar to me and like to ponder, plan, and plot in the morning time (I’m always most productive then – when that is I finally wake up) then why not spend the next few morns of the Christmas come-down contemplating what you would like out of 2016 whilst digging into some Hot, Holly-Jolly porridge bowls? I’ve been eating these variations throughout the course of December and can confirm that they are all on the pudding scale for sweetness, are heartily filling and of course pure comfort in a bowl. 

Plus, as a bonus they are all beyond simple to make with the base ingredients consisting of:

  • ½ cup oats
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
  • 1 tsp truvia (or sweetener of choice - adjust amount to personal taste)
  • And a few festive extras (see below)


The method is also very basic – either:

Combine everything in a saucepan over medium heat and stir together. After 3-5 minutes (or until thickened to preference) remove from the heat and feast.

Or

Stir everything together in a microwaveable safe bowl and microwave on full power (1000 watts) for 1 minute, remove, stir and then heat again for another minute.

Easy peasy!

I hope I am slowly enticing you into my porridge cult loving oats as much as I do and make sure you enjoy the final few days of 2015!


Hugs and such.  

Alex

Mince Pie Porridge



The extras you will need: 1/4-1/2 tsp mixed spice, a few tbsp dried fruit of choice, a few drops of natural rum flavouring and vanilla extract.


Mint Chocolate Porridge



The extras you will need: 2 tsp cocoa/cacao powder, a couple drops of peppermint extract.


Eggnog Oatmeal 



Note: Reduce the amount of milk used from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup for this version. It ensures for a thick and creamy texture.
The extras you will need: 1 egg, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, a few drops of natural rum flavouring. 


Gingerbread Porridge 



The extras you will need: 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8-1/4 tsp cinnamon, optional - a few drops of vanilla extract and a small pinch of cloves.  


Chocolate Orange Porridge 



The extras you will need: 2 tsp cocoa/cacao powder, a few drops orange extract, optional - some grated orange zest/squeezed juice to garnish.   


No comments:

Post a Comment