Sunday 19 June 2016

Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta

Smooth, thick and dairy-free - behave!

 Hi guys,

Before getting into this post I just want to say sorry for the sporadic posting lately.
The truth is I have no schedule at the moment and am trying to fit in posts here, there and wherever I can. Don’t get me wrong, I could definitely be more productive with my time if I made a schedule but I am quite partial to being an unproductive sloth that enjoys curling up into a ball under the bed sheets whilst watching Game of Thrones and eating home-popped popcorn.

I acknowledge your judgement and accept its severity.

Soz again.

In my defence, things have been a little up in the air for the last week.

Why?

Gosh you’re so thoughtful, thanks for asking. Well, I made the bold/stupid (haven’t decided which yet) to hand in my notice at work. Gasp! As a result of this little radical life choice, I have been spending more time sorting out my CV and applying to jobs etc. Hence, this blog has been put on hold a little.

I don’t want to drone on too much about it but below are the three main reasons behind why I quit my job as an AutoCAD Drawer (someone who uses a computer to draw 2-dimensional models of pile cages in varying dimensions for use in construction – beyond riveting I’m sure you’ll agree).

  1. First and foremost, I simply wasn’t happy. Despite leaving the 14th Century-like plague of rats, continual rolling black-outs and horrific toilet mushrooms behind in the porta-cabin of hell and moving to a nicely furnished office that probably actually meets health and safety’s standards, the job itself still wasn’t for me. Don’t get me wrong, the people were great, I learnt so much and it was fun to work alongside one of my closest friends but in terms of career progression, it wasn’t what I wanted as I neither had much interest or passion for the role.
  2. I was getting slack on looking around for other options and needed a good kick in the rear to get me searching again. Handing in my notice has sparked the fear of long term unemployment into play and ironically fear is actually what spurred me to make the move to leave. One day last month whilst at work I noticed that one of the daily inspirational quotes on our desk calendars was ‘don’t fear change, fear stagnation’ and that was when it hit me – I was on route to becoming that old forgotten pond at the back of the school field. You all know - the one that the teachers tell you not to go near because despite being only a few feet deep it is full of rubbish and it smells. I was stagnating and it sucked (no wonder there were so many flies around the office, sorry co-workers).
  3. Lastly, I didn’t feel like I was 100% myself or rather the best version of myself whilst at work. Not that I didn’t have bouts of genuine happiness whilst there but more often than I not I was finding myself in some foul mood either initiated by a rude/angry customer or by the fact that a lot of the technical aspects of the job were quite frustrating. Most of the time, I’m quite happy (despite the sometimes cynical nature of this blog) but I feel like I was losing that a bit. I wanted to be 100% myself and I think that maybe entering a job through a friend is not the best way to find your own feet around new people in that respect – at least I don’t think it was for me. Furthermore, I wasn’t really qualified for this role and sort of fell into it by accident and as a result there was most definitely a lack of the sense of belonging.

Anyway, I have a few more weeks there to kill so I still have some time to sort myself out. Current emotional state: Twangs of excitement mixed with deep underlying dread. I’m ready for the change but not sure if I’m up to the challenge and because of this, everything’s become a bit muddled and has left me in need of good dose of comfort.

In other words: Carbs.

And this is where my creamy roasted red pepper pasta sauce comes into play...


Oh mama! (And it’s suitable for vegans too)

Yep that’s right, despite being thick, creamy and mouth-coatingly rich in flavour, this dish doesn’t contain a drop of cream. It also doesn’t have any cauliflower in it as was the case for my dairy-free paprikash, so fear not all you cauliflower haters, I gotcha covered. There is another secret ingredient however, one that provides this sauce with all of its creaminess and also makes it packed full of protein. Can you guess what it is?

*whispers* White beans.

Gasp again! Two gasps in one post? Outrageous.

Butter beans to be precise are what make up this meal’s base; I know it sounds weird but they do wonders for the sauces’ velvety texture and you cannot even taste them. Undetectable and unbeatable! Or should I say, Un-bean-table…

For the 4th time in this post, I apologize.

Comforting and rich but also fresh and not too heavy, this pasta is a great option for those summer days with bi-polar weather, which seem to be everyday at the moment. Plus it only takes around 25 minutes max from start to finish – you’re very welcome ;).

Enjoy!

Roasted Red Pepper Pasta

Serves 4


Ingredients:

  • 300g whole wheat pasta/pasta of choice (I sometimes use the whole 500g pack because my friends, my family and I like to eat)
  • 2 large red bell peppers or sweet pointed peppers- cut in half with stems removed
  • 1 can of white beans (butter or cannellini) – drained and rinsed
  • 1 white onion chopped into quarters
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Juice from ½ a lemon
  • ¾-1 cup reserved pasta water
  • 1-2 garlic cloves
  • Salt/pepper to taste
  • 1 handful of freshly cut parsley or basil leaves

Instructions:

  • Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and prep the peppers, cutting and lightly spraying them with olive oil or cooking spray then placing them face down onto a baking tray lined with baking paper/foil.  
  • Once ready, place the peppers into the oven and forget about them for 25 minutes (set a timer, this will help you remember them again – they get very sad when they are forgotten about). Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions.
  • Put the rest of the ingredients (onion, garlic, white beans, herbs, lemon juice, olive oil, reserved pasta water and seasonings) into a blender or high quality food processor.
  • Once the peppers have finished roasting and are wrinkly and slightly charred like Dale Winton’s skin, remove them from the oven, toss them into the blender and whizz up everything into a creamy, explosively flavourful sauce. Make sure to taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
  • Drain the cooked pasta (if you haven’t already) and introduce it to the sauce. They’ll get along just fine.
  • Pretend to be Nigella as you make suggestive faces at an imaginary camera man whilst twirling your decadently smooth pasta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment