Wednesday 27 January 2016

Egg Scramble Stuffed Sweet Potato Breakfast Boats

Breaking some eggs (and out of the comfort zone)


Hello fellow internet user,

If you’re reading this, I’m going to presume that the device you are using to access this region of cyberspace is also capable of displaying the current time and date on it. If you were to take a brief moment to look at said date you would most likely observe that it’s now the 27th of January (depending on where on the globe you live). If you’re like me, this sudden realization of the time of month may come as a bit of a shock resulting in a very sharp intake of breath that causes you to momentarily forget how to breathe like a working adult and also causes you to nearly choke to death on the rice cake you were in mid-consumption of. Hopefully, not a lot of you are like me.

I can’t believe we’re a month down for this year already, I mean really, what have I been doing? What has taken up nearly 31 days of life? Minus sleeping and eating, my mind is completely baffled. You would think that most people spend this time of year breaking out of their comfort zones, trying new ways of living and tearing down any metaphorical barriers that would have previously held them back. Well if you’re thinking that I’ve been throwing myself headfirst into life like a Shamu that’s just escaped Sea World, I can assure you that you are most mistaken and here are some examples as to why:

People say the New Year is a perfect start to get back on the dating scene. Love could be just around the corner right?

Last Saturday was spent by some friends and I sitting in the most isolated corner of a pub (as to avoid any of the other customers) sculpting boyfriends out of modelling clay.

Here's Ben who worryingly looks like he was born with no hands and is also a possible burns victim.

People say it’s a time to travel and explore new exciting places of the world.

Last Sunday was spent by my friend Ellen and I travelling 6 minutes away by train to the barely there town of Battlesbridge to look at antiques and drink tea.

23 is most definitely the new 87.

Did meet a potential suitor though...

People say that it’s good to do something every day that scares you.

The biggest fright I got this week was from when I opened my phone’s camera to take a picture and the screen was in selfie mode. A long day at work, being photographically unprepared and poor angling resulted in me seeing my own face being the most unpleasant occurrence of the month.

Image banned by all Governmental bodies.  

Oh dear, so it may be fair to say that I haven’t really been grabbing the bull by the horns so far this year but no worries, there’s still eleven months left. There’s still time to change right?

Yes, yes there is and thankfully this week became the perfect opportunity to start shaking me out of my safety net and changing some old routines. Apparently its 2016’s Breakfast week from the 24th to the 30th whereby all things breakfast are showcased over social media with the aims of raising awareness about this meal’s nutritional benefits and also to encourage people to enjoy a healthy start to their day every morning.   
Naturally when I first heard of this my mind went straight to porridge. It’s my favourite morning food, there are so many flavour possibilities and it’s so good for you. I know porridge, I feel safe with porridge. I’ll do a recipe on porridge! Then I remembered Ben (who at this point had melted into an un-appealing mass on top of a stack of post-it notes in my bedroom) and I quickly decided that I needed to break out of my shell a bit.


After looking through what potential breakfast foods were stocked in the kitchen and discovering a sad, fat sweet potato, some eggs (who I would have liked to see the birth certificate of) and half an avocado that was quickly diminishing into literal baby vomit, I decided to ask Pinterest for some help and it was there that I came across a recipe for egg stuffed breakfast potatoes. They looked beyond tasty and apparently would only take 10 minutes to prepare in the morning. 10 minutes for a hot breakfast involving potato? I’m game for that! I modified the recipe slightly to add in a few more greens and spices for flavour but the concept of the meal is still pretty much the same. Just to clarify, I am holding my hands up and stating that the idea to scramble cooked sweet potato flesh with an egg and stuff it back into the skin was not my own original thought but I liked this breakfast so much that I couldn’t permit not sharing it. Sharing is caring you know. Plagiarism isn’t really caring; actually it’s quite not-caring so I have also included a link to the original recipe that inspired the breakfast below in case you were interested. 
So, Happy Breakfast Week! I hope you give this stuffed potato a go even if it is a little bit outside of regular routine, but hey if I can do it, you definitely can. Remember this is coming from the guy who’s most daring event this week was considering buying a set of Beatrix potter books from an antiques shop (and even then I still found that too daring and didn’t get them!).
Oh well, small changes.

Happy morning eating!  

 
Egg Scramble Stuffed Sweet Potato Breakfast Boats



Ingredients

1 medium-large sweet potato
1 medium-large egg (free-range if you can please so the great mother hen in the sky doesn’t punish us with foot and mouth)
A handful of spinach – roughly ½ cup
½ an avocado
Optional: A sprinkling of cumin and garlic granules(any spices will work here) and salt/pepper to taste
Cooking spray

Instructions

Wash the sweet potato, pat dry and stab some holes in it with a knife (tell it it’s for its own good beforehand if this makes the job easier)
Place the sweet potato into the microwave and set on full power (mine goes up to 1000 watts) for 6-9 minutes depending on the spud’s size.
Whilst that’s going, crack an egg into a dish and beat with a fork before adding whatever spices, herbs or seasonings you like. I went for some cumin and garlic granules which ended up working immensely better than I thought it would. Also wash your spinach if you’re feeling hygienic, mash up your avocado if you’re feeling rage and spray down a frying pan with cooking spray/oil if you’re not feeling like burnt food.
Once the potato has finished cooking, carefully remove it from the microwave (I advise handling it with an oven glove) and slice it in half. Scoop out the potato flesh leaving about a quarter of an inch or so around the skin and mash/mix the flesh well with the beaten egg.
Place the pan over a medium heat and throw in the potato/egg mix, stirring continuously and allowing to scramble. This should only take a couple of minutes. 
Remove from the heat; line the potato skins with the spinach leaves before re-stuffing them with the scramble mix and spooning over the smashed avocado. Grab a knife and fork (or just use your hands if you truly are a complete beast) and devour! 

No comments:

Post a Comment