Thursday 4 February 2016

Strawberry Cream Filled Chocolate Dreams

Heart Healthy Chocolates To Treat Your Taste Buds With This Valentine's Day


Happy February you saucy reader you!

Don’t be alarmed I’m not coming onto you in a predatory fashion, it’s just that for some reason I’ve been in a fairly good mood recently (this happens every 60 days or so, my therapist calls it bi-monthly euphoria).
The cause for this condition was at first most perplexing but after some much needed self analysis as to why the happy feels seemed to be spreading with a frightening Starbucks level of expansion at this particular time of the year, the answer seemed pretty obvious. Is it because I’m actually looking forward to Valentine’s Day? Have I found some-one to potentially share it with?  Have I been completely caught up in the lovey-dovey atmosphere and am looking forward to spending lots of quality time with and being spoilt by my new boo? 


Of course not! I have no boo. The only ‘boo’ that can be applied to my life is the type that precedes the word ‘Hoo’ for when I have to get up at half six for work in the morning and also the kind that is found before the letters ‘ze’ on the occasional wild Friday night. Nope, I’m afraid to report I am still unattached (mother will be disappointed). Although a partner is not necessarily something that I would say no to at this moment in time, I’m not really bothered enough to actively look for one and I’m not the type to fret over the fact that I’m going to spend another valentine’s day with the rest of the single population holding a tub of ice cream in one hand and a shovel in the other. Ben and Jerry, they could definitely be my boos. Why do I keep using that word? It’s grim. Using the term ‘boo’ at any time other than when impersonating a ghost should be banned immediately and all those who continue to commit such verbal sin shall be publicly flogged with liquorice.

Let it be known.


Back on topic, the actual reason why my mood has taken an uphill turn is because my inner fat child (Lewis) can sense that with Valentine’s Day comes the excuse to fully indulge in a vast array of all things draped in chocolate. That’s right, everything with all of the chocolate! Chocolate coated strawberries, chocolate brownies, chocolate banana ice cream, chocolate smoothies, chocolate peanut butter cups, chocolate lava cake, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate fondue, oats with chocolate…

However, before I lose my track of thought…

*3 minute pause ensues*

Oh dear, too late. I have literally no idea where I was going with the conversation. It was something along the lines of how much chocolate I intend to consume over this coming month I think. Forgetting what you were writing about mid-type falls somewhere between the realms of awkward and mildly unsettling now doesn’t it. Bloody hell! I knew having The Walking Dead on in the background whilst going off on a cocoa tangent wouldn’t serve me well. Multi-tasking is not my forte, which is why my driving lessons often resemble something out of Wacky races. That reminds me, I would advice staying off the roads of Essex between 1 and 2pm this Saturday. You have been warned.


Oh well, in typical blogger fashion I’m just going to throw a recipe your way in an attempt to distract you from my shocking writing skills (or lack of rather). So here we go! My strawberry cream centered chocolates - perfect as a gift for your Valentine’s sweetie or if like me, for yourself. All for self!

The only way to describe these chocolates is that they taste pretty much identical to Roses’ strawberry dreams – a sweet, smooth and creamy center surrounded by a layer of intensely dark chocolate. Yee-hum! As a bonus, whilst this recipe yields approximately 12-15 chocolates, it supplies an excess of the strawberry cream filling meaning that you will have enough left over for the next few days to either spread onto toast, stir into porridge or even eat with a spoon as is – enjoy in whichever format you like.  Also, these guys can definitely be classified at a basic bitch level of easiness to make. Honestly, a walrus could make them. I’m not knocking walruses but let’s be honest, they’re not known for being kitchen savvy are they.

Enjoy!

Strawberry Cream Filled Chocolate Dreams

Ingredients:

½ cup cashews
1 cup diced strawberries
1 tbsp truvia (or other sweetener of choice)
3 ounces (roughly 85g) dark chocolate chips – choose at least 70% cocoa if you want the antioxidant benefits
A chocolate mold of choice (you can also use cupcake liners in this recipe)

Instructions:

Firstly, put the cashews in a cup and cover with water. Leave to soak for at least five hours but overnight is even better if you have saintly levels of patience.
After soaking for a sufficient time, drain the cashews (discarding the water) and combine in the blender with the diced strawberries and truvia. Pulse a few times before blending until a smooth and creamy texture is reached. Set aside.
Melt half the chocolate chips either in a bowl placed over a saucepan containing boiling water or in the microwave for thirty second intervals stirring in between till smooth and creamy.
Once melted, use a teaspoon to coat the bottom and sides of whatever mold you’re using, you don’t need a lot, just enough to cover.  
Place the molds in the freezer for ten minutes till set and then remove. Fill each chocolate shell with 0.5-1 tsp of the strawberry cream and return to the freezer for about an hour.
Remove when the strawberry cream has hardened a little and then proceed to melt the other half of the chocolate chips. Using a teaspoon again, top the strawberry cream with a final layer of chocolate and try to cover as best as possible. I used about another teaspoon to fill the molds I was using.
Return to the freezer and allow to set for a couple of hours before retrieving and eating your strawberry centered creamy chocolate treats. Store in the fridge for a week or the freezer long term. 

Side note: Mine didn’t last long term despite attempts to hide them in the freezer. There is no possible way to hide chocolate from Lewis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment