Tuesday 22 March 2016

Peanut Butter Blondies (Healthy, Easy, Delicious, Bosh)

Getting a Spring Back in The Step


Easter’s around the corner chickens!

And with Easter comes the start of spring!

And with this changing of the seasons comes warmer weather!

I know, it’s beyond British to already be thinking about the possibility of sunshine but as I’ve spent the winter working in what can only be described as a spell of grey misery, I think it can be justified. We’re on the way up folks; yesterday it was only cloudy for 8 hours as opposed to the usual 8 hours and fifty minutes.

Baby Steps.

Tis the season for change all round it seems as my work have finally moved offices and we are now somewhere where there are no rolling power cuts, no toilet mushrooms and best of all there is central heating. If I was religious I’d be singing praise like one of those gospel women with all of the sass. Along with the better weather and all these positive changes it makes sense to me to do what I can to further improve my (usually cynical) outlook on life and so I have made a kind of promise to try at least once a week to get outside a bit more.

Phase one of project outdoorsy as f*** started well and I went on a good hour long walk last Sunday where I managed to explore a new part of town I hadn’t been in before. However, whilst on this venture, I realised some things about walking that hadn’t occurred to me before. You don’t necessarily need  to own a dog as a reason to go exploring outside but strange events seem to occur when walking alone in somewhere like a park or a forest. In fact I can list three for you right now:



Point 1) Everyone you encounter becomes a potential attacker. Ok, maybe that’s a bit extreme but there’s kind of a truth in this statement. You see, when I used to walk the dog (Tally), it felt like having some sort of force field and even though in reality she’s a slightly short and somewhat chubby spaniel who probably in the face of danger would sooner take off and leave me for death, having her around was nice and ensured a feeling of security. Now, when on a solo walk I find myself actively hoping that other people won’t approach me (usually the ones who are also not walking dogs – irony’s a bit of a cow it seems) and when it comes to groups of youths, the 80 year old lady within (let’s call her Gladys) doesn’t even know how to cope. 

Example – On Sunday I found a small stretch of woods that I started to walk through and stumbled upon a pair of guys sawing up a fallen tree. Now I’m sure there is a very reasonable explanation for this but in my mind the first conclusion reached was that these were log thieves (is this a thing?) and I was now the only witness to their heinous crime. I promptly ran walked in the opposite direction, hoping they wouldn’t follow. Of course they didn’t because I’m a completely paranoid freak but you never know… why take the risk?

Point 2) If you like using your phone to take photos, strangers will approach and ask if you are lost. This happens to me a fair bit; I assume to other people it looks as though I’m intensely scrolling through Google maps and combined with a lack of pooch and my facial expression looking permanently confused, I can see how others jump to this conclusion. 

Example – On Sunday a gentleman approached me having spied me from a distance (taking a picture of a nice solitary dandelion mind you) and asked where I was heading. I was too embarrassed to explain that I was taking pictures of weeds and so went along with the being lost assumption. Like any good person he gladly pointed out another route home I could take and then just stood there and watched oddly as I followed his directions. How I hate being watched *shudders*.

Point 3) You end up walking in unsuitable territory. Having a dog means only walking in areas where they’re allowed and even then it can sometimes mean they have to stay on lead. When it’s just you, anything goes baby! Well, actually it doesn’t, don’t walk on private property and such, other people don’t really like that.

Example – On Sunday, in my attempts to avoid the guy who had directed me home (he was still watching me at this point). I quickly changed to a path that was out of his eye line. Unfortunately this entailed leaping like an incapable gazelle over a ditch lined with stinging nettles. I’ll leave it to you to imagine how that went but suffice to say my arm spent a good few hours looking like plague. 


Anyway, all of these occurrences are definitely not enough to deter me from getting into the habit of walking more and who knows maybe it will even lead to beginning running again (something that hasn’t even been considered since the days of university).  By the time I returned home after this walk all the activity had boosted up my appetite enough to warrant a treat. The transition from greedy to glutton has officially commenced people. As a form of recovery from my ‘lovely’ outdoor venture I scoffed down a few of these homemade Peanut Butter Blondies. A perfect way to reward oneself after any form of exercise. Nutritious, warming, chewy, soft, sweet and nutty, these baked square goods will have you questioning whether blondes really are more fun.

Recipe:

Makes 8-12 blondies (depending on size of dish and how thick you make them).

Ingredients:

1 can (400g) chickpeas drained and rinsed
¼ cup natural peanut butter
1 egg or sub 1/3 cup apple sauce for vegan option
½ cup oat flour
1/3 cup truvia or other sweetener to taste
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp baking powder
1/3 cup almond milk

Instructions:

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (We have a fan oven which is a little bit hotter than a conventional type but all ovens vary).
Put all ingredients in food processor till fully combined, you may have to stop and stir down the sides a couple of times.
Line a baking dish with non-stick baking paper or spray with cooking spray/oil and spread out mixture evenly.
Bake for 25 minutes
Remove and allow to cool a little before placing face into blondies and chomping like a brontosaurus.


As a little tip I also recommend adding in a sprinkling of cinnamon to the mix, maybe it’s just me that likes this combination but if anyone else does and you’re out there… I will find you.
 
Whilst this recipe may not answer the blonde Vs brunette debate (I do still love chocolate brownies very much) It can be concluded that they are a very welcome addition to my taste buds and are definitely good enough to rival their cocoa cousins.

Also, if you were wondering here’s me as a blonde from back in the uni days…


I think the comparison speaks for itself but let’s remind ourselves that spring is a time of change and some changes (like getting outside more… and maybe not putting peroxide over my head in particular) are most definitely for the better ;)

Happy munching!

No comments:

Post a Comment