Friday 15 April 2016

Baked Falafel


No more falafel for you!!! (I've been watching Friends again)



Chairete people! (hello in Greek)

Nope, I'll admit that I don't even know where to begin in pronouncing that word but the Google speaker woman made a noise that sounded like quiche, air and E.T. combined. I'm not hopeful.

...

Opa!

That's Greek; that much I know

Anyway the reason for the Mediterranean outburst is due to me no longer being able to contain my excitement at going to Greece with my bud Ellen in just over a week's time! I don't think I've actually mentioned it on this blog yet, whoops. Surprise I going to Greece! Athens for three days to be precise to look at naked statues of ripped men absorb all of the culture and history, followed by another three days on the coast in a small town called Palouki to visit Olympia and explore the beaches. As I'm sure you'll understand, there are multiple reasons as to why I'm more than eager to get on a plane and escape the slog of the daily work routine for a week but as I'm a compulsive troll and love listing things, below are some of my top picks for what I'm looking forward to:

  1. Firstly the food, always the food (and as the Mediterranean diet is said to be one of the most healthful in the world, I expect to come back with glowing skin and luscious hair, anything less than this will be disappointing).
  2. Greece's fantastic history and mythology, although I'm pretty worried that at some point I will be mistaken for a Gorgon. As I've aged, mum's curly hair gene seems to have transitioned from recessive to a dominant state and now I'm probably going to have to pre-warn Ellen before we reach coastal air that despite arriving with Alex she'll probably be leaving with Medusa.
  3. The vibrant culture - I've read that it's a compliment for people to spit at you as traditionally this is done to ward off the evil eye and any bad luck. Being spat at in a positive way... that's nice.
  4. Because my name is traditionally Greek, I'm hoping that everyone will be extra nice (fingers crossed for free moussaka!!!)
  5. The weather - if you live in England, this doesn't really need any further explaining. If you don't live in England, think sadness out of Inside Out - that is the most accurate way I can describe our climate.
  6. Spending time with one of the most important people in my life. Ellen studied Classics at college and as a result is very clued up on Ancient Greece. This trip was her idea and is something that she has wanted to do for years and as a result I am beyond chuffed that she asked me along to share this little adventure with her. I love my freckly friend :) (maybe even more than crumble... I said maybe).

In preparation, Ellen has been learning a few Greek phrases to help us get by whilst so far all I've done is practice my best pointing/nodding and have tried to convince Nam that the reason I dropped and smashed one of the dinner plates was so that I would be ready for any potential Greek parties.

Opa?

Yeah, she may be 75 but she's not daft.

Anyway, I've also been getting into the spirit for this trip via some food experimentation and hence today I am sharing something usually found on any self-respecting Mediterranean pop-up food stand - Falafel!


Despite originating in Egypt and the Middle East before spreading northwards to places like Greece over time, this dish (mostly comprised of chickpeas) is a street foodie favourite all over Southern European cities. Quick, hot and perfectly portable in pita, this snack provides a tasty punch of plant-based protein that will keep any avid tourist powered up for exploring all day.

Fun fact - whilst drunk in Prague after joining a stranger's stag-do (odder things happened whilst travelling) my friend Georgie and I walked for well over an hour to find somewhere that was still open to serve us food. When we eventually located a small 'hole in the wall' type place, the only thing I wanted off of the menu was falafel , something I had never craved let alone even eaten before. Since that night, it's become a bit of a problem. I love the stuff!

However, traditionally falafel is deep fried which is delicious but kind of defeats the chick pea's healthy vibe. Sadly, it's probably advisable to not have it all the time but me being me, thought screw that I want it! Hence, I found a recipe which simply baked the fabulous fritters as opposed to frying them and by making a few more wholesome switches managed to come up with something that is crispy on the outside, warm and chewy on the inside, all whilst being refreshingly light and wonderfully satisfying.  
 
I hope you enjoy and Καλή όρεξη! (Kalí óreksi – Bon appetit in Greek).


Baked Falafel

Makes 9-10 pieces


Ingredients

1 can of chickpeas - drained and rinsed
1 onion – peeled and chopped
2-3 garlic cloves – peeled and chopped
Small handful of chopped coriander leaves or 1 tbsp dried
Small handful of chopped parsley leaves or 1 tbsp dried
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp whole meal flour
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp olive oil
Salt/pepper to taste
Cooking spray or additional olive oil

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (we like it hot).
Throw (literally if your aim is good) all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend them together. Then proceed to lovingly form the mixture into little patties about the size of the palm of your hand.
Spray cooking spray or olive oil onto a baking tray and place the falafel onto it before baking in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Store them in the fridge as an easy grab and go snack or cram them between some warm pita breads with salad, hummus and avocado before pushing them into your facial vortex. Nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment